Re: Oh where, oh where has Comcast gone

  • From: Vinny Abello
  • Date: Tue Jun 24 08:41:05 2003

I actually noticed this morning when trying to check my mail that their mail server is now SSL capable out of the blue. Interesting...

At 03:45 AM 6/24/2003, Matt Hess wrote:

Well, I do know, as a customer, they are going through a large att -> comcast.net transition period right now.. they even left a poorly thought out automated message on my answering machine to let me know that on june 30th they plan on royally screwing up everything.. now naturally they didn't say that but that message sure didn't leave much room for any hope of contacting support that week if need be..

John R Levine wrote:
I saw a bunch of mail to comcast.net bouncing, so I figured I'd check to
see if maybe their mail servers were misconfigured or something. Holy
petunias, they've imploded into private network space.
It appears that the glue records in the GTLD servers are OK, but ns02 is
returning the 172.30 address which, since it's authoritative for itself,
overwrites the good data. Tsk, tsk. I suppose that's one way to cut down
the amount of spam they get.
$ dnsqr ns comcast.net
2 comcast.net:
76 bytes, 1+2+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 2 comcast.net
answer: comcast.net 4929 NS ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
answer: comcast.net 4929 NS ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
$ dnsqr a ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
1 ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net:
59 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 1 ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
answer: ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net 4923 A 172.30.0.16
$ dnsqr a ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
1 ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net:
59 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
query: 1 ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
answer: ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net 4919 A 172.30.0.17
Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
[email protected]
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0 E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.