Re: Slow and Fast IP addresses on http ?

  • From: Nathan J. Mehl
  • Date: Tue Jun 17 13:30:36 2003

In the immortal words of Paul Vixie ([email protected]):

> > It might also be port 113 -- some sites try to query your tcp port 113,
> > and wait for a timeout if the port is firewalled.  A better solution
> > than blocking it is to send an immediate RST.
>
> people who depend on tcp/113 deserve everything stupid that happens to them.
> dropping SYN packets or returning a fixed string are both better than sending
> an immediate RST.  (false confidence being valued less than low confidence.)
> i was rather shocked to discover tcp/113 clientness enabled by default in
> postfix and sendmail.  but even widespread ignorance does not call for
> widespread coddling such as returning immediate RST's.

What Paul said.  Ident delenda est.

ftp://blank.org/pub/misc/identd.pl  <-- suitable for use under inetd
and tcpserver, if all else fails.

-n

"Must I pray in Hebrew?" No, and wipe that look of terror off your face.
Fluency in Hebrew, of course, is vital to the proper understanding of Israeli
truck driver insults.     (--David Bader, "How to Be an Extremely Reform Jew")