Re: IPv6

  • From: Nick Hilliard
  • Date: Sat Jun 14 05:37:53 2003

Brad Knowles wrote:
I was working at DISA at the height of the GOSIP stuff. I remember the internal discussions and arguments. I'm fortunate enough to have known a guy who was instrumental in helping to finally kill the damn thing.
We all have our OSI horror stories.

    Should we hope that the same won't happen to IPv6?
Less likely. At least there is general consensus among pretty much everyone - with the exception of a small number of cranks - that IPv6 is good. This is not something which could have ever have been said about the ISO model, which governments loved and everyone else loathed.

IPv6's major implementation problem is going to be apathy. After all, things are working fine at the moment, and who cares that some day there might be a big ip address crunch?

Nick