RE: IPv6

  • From: David Luyer
  • Date: Fri Jun 13 11:06:06 2003

Daryl G. Jurbala wrote:
> I guess that means vendor C has no excuse on the 7200 VXR
> series (and I believe a few of the newer models).  But I
> still don't see anthing fantastically IPv6 happening there.

The 7206VXR (along with all 7200/7400) supports IPv6
in IOS 12.2S, 12.2T and 12.3.

12.2S is not yet the recommended IOS for ISPs using 7200
series routers, but is expected to be the recommended ISP IOS
in the future.

12.2T/12.3 are the current recommended IOS for LNSs.

The support seems to gradually increase with time.  As a
7xxx-based network, IPv6 came as a pleasant surprise when we
upgraded IOS for other reasons.

Some current significant missing items:

  NetFlow of IPv6 (...sure we can do the traffic, but can
  we bill it?!...)

  Communication by the router to IPv6 hosts for RADIUS, tacacs,
  NetFlow, etc (...ok, so we can use IPv6, just as long as it's
  not for anything our routers want to talk to...)

But for that matter, NetFlow doesn't work well with MPLS either
(in a VPDN environment, where you can't identify a virtual access
interface based on SNMP and hoping it was the same when the
traffic happened, there's no way currently to identify which VRF
the traffic occurred in and thus no way to map traffic back to
a customer when multiple VRFs contain the same IPs).

David.