Re: IPv6

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Thu Jun 12 13:16:50 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	I honestly see most of the backbone providers offering
> native IPv4 and IPv6 services in the next few years.  Contact
> your provider as you can probally get in on any beta service
> offerings they currently have.

Am I the only one that thinks IPv6 is a minimum of ten years out before
you see actual non-geek demand?

Maybe I have my head in the sand, but we have an abundance of available IP
space, and people who care encrypt their traffic anyways. Is IPv6 better
than IPv4? Yes. Enough for it to motivate everybody to switch? Debateable.

I just don't see how the snowball is going to get started. With
address-starved nations using IPv6, that only makes for more available
IPv4 space and less of a motivation to migrate for the rest of us. And in
the US, it's seriously driven by the geek early-adopters. I know that I
only tested it out to satisfy the geek in me, not to try to solve any real
problem that needs a solution. And when I present the issues to non-geeks,
they all suggest, in a round-about-way, every single last one of them,
that whatever benefits I'm talking about are insignifanct compared to the
fact that they no longer have a nice dotted quad to remember.

So, how does IPv6 go from the shores of Japan and the minds of geeks
across America to being the primary protocol used on the net?

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.