Re: Best Practices for Loopback addressing (Core routers & VPN CPE)

  • From: Haesu
  • Date: Fri Jun 06 12:50:45 2003

> However, considering that these loopbacks are only used for routing
> protocols (OSPF,BGP, LDP)
> and for network management (SNMP, telnet, ...) and that  these addresses
> don't need to visible from public Internet
> (not seen in traceroute, not seen on Internet BGP announces ...) I am
> considering to
> use private  RFC1918 for a new Backbone deployment.

Or, you could use a seperate class C or whatever fits yoru backbone for loopbacks and router interfaces.. Just don't advertise that block. That way you use non-rfc1918 on the backbone, and yet outside people cannot get to it since you dont advertise it to the world... It's just me but i am against using rfc1918 on any part of a backbone.

-hc

--
Sincerely,
  Haesu C.