Re: Fast TCP?

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Thu Jun 05 11:32:27 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:34:23AM +0000, [email protected] said:
[snip]
> Also witness the BGP data/keepalive mechanism.  Messages are sent
> at least every <x so often>, and frequently contain data (or at
> least a keepalive instead of data).  If ACKs were sent in the
> same way, and packet fragments could be passed to the application
> layer before all segments were received in order to alleviate
> mbuf issues...
>
> UDP, anyone?

The folks over at digitalfountain have a pretty spiffy product that does kind
of a UDP encapsulation between their end points (TCP -> df box -> UDP -> df
box -> TCP) which works quite well for fast transfers over high latency
links (satellite, etc.). Also lets you get the most out of your available
pipes (i.e. 95% utilization of a DS-3 vs. a much lower figure using TCP to
transfer the same amount of data).

(I'm not affiliated with digitalfountain in any way other than being a
customer and sharing an office with a beta tester. :))
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui