Re: NAT for an ISP

  • From: Dan Armstrong
  • Date: Wed Jun 04 19:05:43 2003

More stuff to manage if we push it out to the CPE.

I know this is mean to say, but most customers are STUPID and keeping it
centralized reduces our support load.  Give them enough rope, they hang
themselves.  We used to do lots more on the CPE, but between bad power
supplies, lost passwords, software upgrades, "power users",  etc. we find our
time is better spent managing it all centrally.

Also, customers might exist in several locations, we can give them the same
1918 network in all locations, run NAT for them, do VPNs for them, bring
L2TP DSL into the fray, and only bill them for traffic that goes "out to the
Internet" quite easily.

(apologies to vendors watching) but I really think this "push intelligence
out to the edge" concept is entirely vendor invented to sell more stuff.
There are more edge devices than core devices.....

Dan.