About the address allocation convention between ISPs

  • From: Teng Fei
  • Date: Tue Jun 03 01:14:30 2003

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the convention of address allocation between ISPs.
If a smaller ISP tries to establish connection with its provider, does
this small ISP configure one of the interface on its boarder router using
an IP address obtained from the provider, or it is the other way around,
that is, the provider uses one of the IP address belongs to the customer
to configure the provider's boarder router?

I have this question because I am trying to identify the link between two
organizations from traceroute measurements.   How the addresses are
allocated will affect the identification of the inter-domain link by
exactly one hop.

I am not sure if there is such a convention at all, or the address
assignment is randomly decided according to the agreement between the
customer and the provider?

Since I know there are many seasoned network professionals on this mailing
list, I think it might be a proper question to ask here.  Would anyone
kindly be willing to share your experience?  Thank you very much!

Sincerely

Teng