Re: .mil domain

  • From: Mark T. Ganzer
  • Date: Fri May 30 16:31:15 2003

One already is. The H server resides at the Army Research Lab, which is connected to DREN (AS668).

FWIW there is not a single homogeneous .mil network. There are several DoD networks that provide service to customer organizations, and some of the major public DoD sites are also directly connected to commercial ISP's. Also different services and sites may have different policies as to who they allow access from. So without knowing the destination address, it's hard to be able to tell someone who thinks they are being blocked who to contact. If you can't reach a site directly, try their upstream providers and see if they can help provide a POC. Try looking at the aspath for the destination, and if any of the following show up, try these POC's:

AS668 (DREN) 866-NOC-DREN or [email protected]
AS7170 (ATT-DISC) 888-DISC-USA or [email protected]
AS568 (DISN) DISA GNOSC at 703-607-4001 or the Columbus RNOSC at 800-554-3476

For security related issues, try contacting the DoD CERT (www.cert.mil, 800-357-4231). All of the services have their own CERT as well, however they all coordinate with this organization.

-Mark Ganzer
Space & Naval Warfare Systems Center, San Diego
[email protected] note: this is posted from my personal email account, not my work account).

Mark Borchers wrote:

Suggestion: migrate the current MIL root servers to the DREN
network. Thus they would be easily accessible from DoD's
networks, while residining in front of any MIL filters or
blackhole routers relative to the rest of the Internet.