Re: Moving G and H off .MIL hosts (was Re: .mil domain)

  • From: Kevin Day
  • Date: Fri May 30 15:10:12 2003

If the .MIL network can't provide International Internet service, is it
time to move the g.root-servers.net and h.root-servers.net off their
current .MIL hosts to better locations to serve the entire Internet.
Otherwise .MIL policies reduce the robustness of the overall Internet.

Heck, even when Paul Vixie did his original black-hole lists, he made
certain that even the worst spammers could still use f.root-servers.net.
Whatever filtering some .MIL sites may or may not be doing, I don't believe that g or h.root-servers.net are affected.

I've tried tracing to them from systems in .uk, .tw, .ru, .kr, .and hk and I get the same results from them as I do from my ARIN allocated US IP blocks. (trace to G with no problem, H has ICMP blocked at gw328-hroot.arl.army.mil, but UDP port 53 seems to get though fine)

To be honest, I'd be rather surprised if .MIL as a whole did ANYTHING jointly. The number of independant networks, AS's, borders and administrators would make it really difficult for any blanket policy to take effect everywhere.

-- Kevin