RE: IANA reserved Address Space

  • From: David Luyer
  • Date: Fri May 30 11:16:10 2003

> > But not to be a pest but what are the odds
> > the IANA would ever allocate the 1 and 100
> > nets to someone?
>
> 99%

I can't imagine 100.0.0.0/8 remaining reserved - there's nothing
particularly special about it (100=0x64... a number which represented
in hex has digits which form a power of two in decimal, looks
nice but isn't a special bit boundary or anything).

1.0.0.0/8, well, IMO some chance it may remain reserved for quite a
while.  But there's always a chance it could be allocated any day.

As another example, I'd be sure 200.200.200.200 will end up with someone
someday, and I've seen horrible attrocities committed with that IP
by people who don't own it (eg. used as a content destination IP via
satellite that a number of providers then had machines with that IP
receiving UDP), just because they think it looks nice.

1.0.0.0/8 was used by One.Net (an Australian ISP/Telco, who later
collapsed rather dramatically) for their router/link IP addresses.  It
was disgusting enough that many wouldn't peer with them.

I don't know what isn't clear about using the allocated network for
internal addresses:

10.0.0.0/16
10.10.0.0/16
10.20.0.0/16
etc

Nice, clear, obviously differentiated blocks.  10.0.0.0/8 is BIG.
You're unlikely to need more than 254 devices on any subnet in a
lab anyway, so you can split down to /24's (or smaller in these
enlightened times of CIDR, but I'm guessing that doesn't look nice
to you).

If you can't find enough nice IP addresses in it to build your lab,
well, that's a really big lab.

David.