Re: dnsbl's? - an informal survey

  • From: listuser
  • Date: Thu May 29 21:34:30 2003

I do on the ISP I consult with.  We use:

dialups.mail-abuse.org  (we pay for this)
relays.mail-abuse.org   (we pay for this)
relays.osirusoft.com (all of it, 8 zones, 3 from outside sources)
 spamhaus.relays.osirusoft.com
 proxy.relays.osirusoft.com
 socks.relays.osirusoft.com
 spamsites.relays.osirusoft.com
 spews.relays.osirusoft.com
 inputs.relays.osirusoft.com
 spamsources.relays.osirusoft.com
 dialups.relays.osirusoft.com
list.dsbl.org
flowgoaway.com

And we were using relays.visi.com until their hardware failure.  We also
used to use blackholes.five-ten-sg.com, multihop.dsbl.org, and
blackholes.2mbit.com.

Personally I use all of those as well as:

dialups.visi.com
blackholes.easynet.nl
opm.blitzed.org

All of those are used to flat out reject spam at the MTA.  I will
eventually use those on the production MTAs.

In addition to those I listed above, we also score our mail.  On the
non-production box I'm using all 13 foreign relay DNSBLs provided by
blackholes, SORBS (all 7 zones), proxies.relays.monkeys.com,
multihop.dsbl.org, and a breakdown of the blackholes.easynet.nl (formely
wirehub) lists.

Of this list we get (in one fashion or another) zone transfers of each
zone (AXFR, IXFR, rsync, or HTTP transfer).  I only use those for which
that's an option.  Otherwise I'd use ORDB and others.

Is that enough info?  I can provide what I'd call an ideal configuration
if you want.

Justin