Re: UPS failure modes (was: fire at NAC)

  • From: listuser
  • Date: Thu May 29 15:59:51 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2003, Gerald wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 May 2003, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> > > I've seen two previous APCs (both Matrixes) fry batteries...  The
> > > batteries balloon up, and get really hot, and are too big to extract from
> > > the chassis.
> > I've also personally witnessed an APC do this. I'm not a fan of APC.
> > They sent us a replacement APC but I still prefer the rack mount Tripp
> > Lites we used at the last company I worked for.
>
> Anyone had experience with Belkin UPSes? Theyre much cheaper than APC,
> and seem to have a longer runtime. I wonder about the long term
> reliability though. Data points would be helpful.

We were all set to buy a dozen APC 750s, a half dozen or so APC 1400s, and
another hald dozen APC 2200s a year or so ago.  We had approval for the
purchase from the director and provided the exact model numbers and
quantities to our purchasing officer.  Our purchasing officer came back
sometime later and suggested we purchase Minuteman UPSs because they were
on sale at the time.  We never did get to purchase any UPSs.  grr...

That said, Minuteman's Entreprise UPS series looks to be pretty good.
Does anyone have any experience with them?  We were planning on buying
large 2x00VA UPSs to handle Enterasys 6000 chassis (pl).

Justin