Transparent SNMP cache?

  • From: Marc Binderberger
  • Date: Wed May 21 05:26:30 2003

Hello,

looking at the growing number of SNMP polling systems and the "gap" between network- and server-engineering we start worrying about the load SNMP may cause on our Cisco CPUs. A few routers/switches died in the past because of SMARTS or HP-OV running wild.
Instead of having many systems polling the same data I would like to see a SNMP cache which works similar to transparent proxies - picks up the request on the fly and answers on behalf of the router unless the cached data is aged out (e.g. 3-5 minutes).

Does something similar exists? Feedback from our server folks is "doesn't exist, never seen this" but I can't believe we are the only one having this idea and looking for a solution.

Or is my idea totally flawed? ;-)

Thanks & Regards,
Marc
--
Marc Binderberger <[email protected]> Powered by *BSD ;-)