Re: BGP Path Filtering

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun May 18 02:59:53 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Joe Abley wrote:
> I think that the message "community strings are hard" (like its friends
> "BGP is hard" and "let's turn on RIP") need to stop propagating. It is
> just not that difficult to do things right the first time, and you
> don't need to be a bigger network than a pair of 2501s with a small
> handful of external BGP sessions to see the benefit of it.

As long as you get it right, I'm less concern how you do it. If you are
more comfortable using route maps and communities, go ahead and do it that
way.  If you are more comfortable using prefix filters, go ahead and do
it that way. If you are more comfortable using route servers and RPSL,
go ahead and do it that way.

Its not that difficult to use RPSL, and it would be nice if everyone
did it right the first time.  But I also recognize if there are several
tools to available, different people will have their favorite.