Re: BGP Path Filtering

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sat May 17 15:03:08 2003

On zaterdag, mei 17, 2003, at 17:30 Europe/Amsterdam, Joe Abley wrote:

think that the message "community strings are hard" (like its friends "BGP is hard" and "let's turn on RIP") need to stop propagating. It is just not that difficult to do things right the first time, and you don't need to be a bigger network than a pair of 2501s with a small handful of external BGP sessions to see the benefit of it.
You are saying BGP isn't hard when well-informed people can't even agree on a way to disable unwanted default behavior? Hm...

Filtering AS paths and prefixes is relatively well understood, although I hear lots of people fail the CCIE questions on AS path regular expressions. I wouldn't recommend doing it with communities to people who don't have any experience with route maps. And I don't see the point for people who don't have BGP-speaking customers. Apart from that it's mostly a change management issue. The communities mechanism has the advantage you only have to make changes on the routers where the prefixes enter the network (presumably a single customer-facing router) while explicit filters must be updated on all eBGP routers.