Re: Using Policy Routing to stop DoS attacks

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon May 12 16:33:43 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Stefan Mink wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 04:58:59PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> > you could hold blackhole routes for these destinations in your route table
> > (local or bgp) So long as the destination for the source is bad (null for
> > instance) the traffic would get dropped. I believe the proper terms from
> > cisco for this are: "So long as the adjacency is invalid" ...
>
> is there a way to make this source-blackhole-routing work
> on J's too (does this work with discard-routes too)?

I believe someone from Juniper should likely answer this question :) As I
understand the setup from a Cisco perspective (and someone from Cisco can
correct me if I get it wrong). uRPF works in such a way that if the source
address's destination has an invalid FIB entry (or no entry, or Null0) the
packets are dropped.

Perhaps Juniper implemented it this way? I have not checked anymore
closely than this. Sorry. :(