Re: DMCA Violation?

  • From: Curtis Maurand
  • Date: Mon May 12 10:14:17 2003

I say figure out who the user is give the name and address to the DMCA and
let the DMCA deal with the expense of dealing with the user directly.  I
run a public network.  What my users do with it is beyond my control. It
doesn't become my concern until it ends up in my acceptable use policy.

I agree with fair use, but distribution of a copyrighted material without
permission is a no-no.  It was when I went to college and wrote research
papers.  A copy of a document for my own personal use was OK.  I couldn't
make copies and give them away.  What makes movies or music any different?
We may not like the  fact that most content is controlled by a relative
few, but that's the  way it is.  If the DMCA peruses the net in an effort
to protect their investment, than so be it. If they want to be the police,
then they should be the enforcers.  I doubt that they'll get much money
from the stone that they'll sue for the damages by the distribution of
their material.   If folks want change (at least in  our  capitalist
society), they need to vote with their pocketbooks.  There are
prohibitions on  DVD's about redistribution.  They are no different than
the ones you hear at a sporting event.  but I digress.

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone seen a copy of the following email?  Furthermore, has it been
> > determined which ISP services create a legal or equitable liability for
> > the ISP?  God help us if providing transport to an FTP site counts as
> > one of the offending services.  I guess it's time to turn on NBAR at the
> > edge routers.

[snip]