NOC responses when advised of ongoing DoS attacks (Was Re: We have a firewall (was Re: Pakistan government orders ISPservice level agreement))

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Wed May 07 09:58:07 2003

> --- Scott Granados <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Unless you actually call UUnet and your not a customer, God help you then.

* [email protected] (David Barak) [Wed 07 May 2003, 15:24 CEST]:
> Well, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for this -
> how many (non-networking) companies will do things
> which don't benefit their customers on behalf of
> someone who is not a customer (and shows no sign of
> becoming one)?  I can't think of any offhand, and I
> don't think that a whole lot would show up in an
> exhaustive search.

I'd have thought having a customer *not* waste all their outgoing
bandwidth on useless data such as participating in a DoS attack would
make for a happier customer.

If you're one of those believers in only your own bottom line, perhaps
the liability stick is a good on to wave in your general direction in
cases like this? (not stating that you are negligent when advised of
DoS attacks in progress, of course)

Regards,

	-- Niels.