Re: We have a firewall (was Re: Pakistan government orders ISPservice level agreement)

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Wed May 07 09:26:18 2003

<disclaimer>

I don't work for UUNET (uumci?  mcinet?...), although
I know Chris and others who do work there, and have a
biased, very good opinion of their skills and
approaches </disclaimer>

--- Scott Granados <[email protected]> wrote:

> Unless you actually call UUnet and your not a
> customer, God help you then.

Well, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for this -
how many (non-networking) companies will do things
which don't benefit their customers on behalf of
someone who is not a customer (and shows no sign of
becoming one)?  I can't think of any offhand, and I
don't think that a whole lot would show up in an
exhaustive search.

The chain should be: if under attack (or whatever) -
you call YOUR UPSTREAM.  They should call their
upstream, etc.  Basically, you should call providers
with whom you have a relationship, and not call those
with whom you don't.  If you DO call a provider with
whom you don't have a relationship, don't expect the
highest quality of service!  To me, this is pretty
obvious: UUNet's policies are geared to help their
customers.  Duh...

> Some companies are very very good at dealing with
> DDOS, Internap being one
> and UUNET if you are a customer another.  Even a
> post here although maybe
> not exactly proper will get you responses from
> people like Chris and so on
> who can and will be helpful.

Here you are dramatically benefiting from the altruism
and general nice-guy-ness of Chris, etc.. on the UU
Security team.  I'm glad that they help non-customer,
non-peers, but I'd have to call it going "above and
beyond".

just my $.0158 (adjusted for inflation)

=====
David Barak