Re: Internet core scale and market-based address allocation

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Mon May 05 16:19:32 2003

This ignores commercial reality. Its fine to ruminate on how we may want
things to be, but in the real world. no one will ever charge for route
announcements, any more than people charge "installation fees". They will
be immediately waived.

Some folks do charge for IP space, but this leads to significant problems,
as it makes it very hard to issue space based on justifiable need - "I'm
will to pay for an extra /20, so why can't I have it". The reason, of
course, is that when the provider goes back to ARIN for more space, the
fact that someone was willing to pay isn't considered proper
justification...

Also, there are problems with folks who pay for address space believing
that they somehow own it.

You have given an excellent reason, why, as an industry, we are not
interested in promoting multicast. Of course, the other reasons are its
nasty degree of complexity when troubleshooting and occassionally buggy
implementations. That, and customers never ask for it.

Demand drives implementation. Demand drives billing methodology. Not
always happy news for the techie, but there it is.

- Daniel Golding