Re: Open relays and open proxies

  • From: Nathan J. Mehl
  • Date: Wed Apr 30 15:28:15 2003

In the immortal words of Christopher J. Wolff ([email protected]):

> The spamcop complaints that really set me off are the "spamvertised
> website" complaints.  Just the mere fact that you host a site that was
> advertised by spam enjoins you in the spamcop chain of causation, even
> if the spam mail did not originate from your network.

Why yes, yes it does.

Why exactly should you be able to profit from spamming without hassle
or reproach?

If you dislike being complained to because your customers are
spamming, your options are clear: ignore the complaints (in which case
the issue will certainly be taken up with your upstream providers), or
stop taking the spammers' money.

Spam does not exist in a vacuum.  It's an economy like any other, and
someone who hosts the spammers' sites is very much an active
participant.

As Joe-Bob Briggs says, "I'm surprised I have to explain this."

-n

"What's the difference between a regular actuary and a Chicago actuary?
A regular actuary can tell you how many people will die in the next
year.  The Chicago actuary can tell you their names." --Chuck McClenahan