Re: The in-your-face hijacking example, was: Re: Who is announcing bogons?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Wed Apr 30 06:13:41 2003

At 06:09 AM 30-04-03 +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

That may be true, but what does a provider do when they are presented with
written 'authority to use address space' from a customer? Certianly if the
customer provides 'proper' documentation that the ip space is available
for them to route, and that they have authority from the 'owner' to do
this... what is an ISP to do? Aside from route the blocks?
Just had a case today where a downstream "clueless" tier-4 ISP got a new customer. The "clueless" customer wants his /24 to be announced. We asked for proof of ownership. Clueless customer sends official letter to clueless tier-4 ISP, who tells us "route it now!" We do a check in APNIC and see it is part of a larger /19 assigned to someone else (probably clueless's customer former upstream ISP). We told clueless tier-4 ISP that we can't announce the /24. I am now waiting for an email stating "but Bulbul ISP never checked APNIC, so why should you?"

These battles are won slowly and one at a time.

-Hank