Re: Who is announcing bogons?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Apr 29 19:40:07 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Paul Vixie wrote:
> geoff huston is the only person i know who's making formal progress on that
> question.  i know from some zebra log files that iana's unallocated space gets
> advertised from time to time, then withdrawn. presumably an attack was launched
> during the announcement but i don't have any data showing this.

Looking at one log, the most persistant announcer of bogon space is
AS 4554 (Bill Manning), Net 39.0.0.0/8.

I don't know Mr. Manning's intentions, malicious or otherwise.

> apparently, nothing.  to the extent that peering is by agreement, the majority
> of such agreements now in force do not require the other party to route-filter
> their customers.  which is funny, since they tend to drone on endlessly about
> the importance of a 24x7 NOC, which in operational practice, matters lots less.

I don't do peering anymore, but a peering agreement did include a
paragraph concerning route filtering.  Sorry, but it got translated by
the lawyer along the way.

  "The parties shall use through the Interconnection Point only Autonomous
  System Numbers, Internet Protocol addresses, or other routing
  identifiers assigned or delegated in accordance with IANA, a mutually
  recognized address registry, or other mutually agreed procedure to the
  party or its customers. The parties will use reasonable efforts to
  screen routing identifiers not in compliance with this paragraph from
  distribution across the Interconnection Point."

Of course, as you know, a peering agreement is about as enforcable as a
???? Well, I can't think of anything that unenforcable.