Re: Get as much IP space as you ever dreamed of, was: Re: Lookingto buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Tue Apr 29 10:41:14 2003

Stephen,

Assertions made in the IETF are not necessarily correct or proper. The
past few years have led to a rash of bankruptcies in the technology
sector, which has led to substantial unrouted space. In any case, a "use
it or lose it" rule is completely in accord with the spirit of the
issuance guidelines - you are only supposed to ask for what you can use,
and you should return what you don't use. However, the assumption that
folks are altruistic is basically false. There is no reward for returning
IP space, therefore folks will not do it. IRRs, as the proper
administrative authority should step in.

I also understand that there is some kind of mental "red line" concerning
the IP  space that was issued before ARIN came into existance, for some
folks. There needs to be a  consensus amongst ICANN/IANA/ISI/IETF that the
IRRs should have full authority for both current and legacy space.

- Dan