Who is announcing bogons?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Apr 28 21:18:38 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Rob Thomas wrote:
> ] Rob, on the other hand, has gained a lot of trust in maintaining
> ] a highly accurate list.
> Thanks very much.  :)  I can't accept all the credit though.  My thanks
> go out to all the members of Team Cymru.

Unfortunately, no good deed goes unpunished.  Jon Postel did a great
job maintaining the list of IP addresses.  Paul Vixie did a great job
with the first Real-Time Blackhole List.  But people move on, and things
change.

But my real question is why are negative bogon lists necessary?  If you
ask providers, they all say they implement positive prefix list filters
on all their customers.  So who is injecting the bogons?  And why do they
still have a network connection?

Should we be spending time teaching people how to do positive prefix
filters, or trying to explain to them why the negative prefix filter
the last network administrator installed 2 years ago is out of date.

What is the cross-over point?  When does the number of lines in a bogon
list become larger than the positive prefix filter?  If you are going to
list every sub-allocation which isn't routed, why not just list the
allocations which should be routed?