Re: Get as much IP space as you ever dreamed of, was: Re: Lookingto buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Apr 28 17:57:07 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Daniel Golding wrote:

> While its certainly wrongb to steal IPs like this, some of the blame
> must go to the  RIRs. They should be repo-ing this space. I realize they
> engage in much  handwrining over their "lack of authority", but authority
> to route address space is, for all intents and purposes, given by those
> who actually do the routing. Furthermore, ARIN has a large warchest for
> defending against legal challenges.
>
> ARIN needs to repo any space that has been advertised for a reasonable
> length of time, and reissue it.

Should any of the ISP community hold any responsibility to help the RIR's
pull this space back when they are hijacked? I would think
ARIN/RIPE/APNIC would like to see ISP's email them blocks that are
hijacked so they can reclaim them, or put them into a holding pen while
they attempt to contact the owners... (then reclaim if no contacts can be
made)

-Chris