Re: Selfish routing

  • From: Mike Lloyd
  • Date: Sun Apr 27 00:07:23 2003

Barney Wolff wrote:
Er, nothing in the paper said anything at all about the performance of
latency-influenced routing vs other, presumably dumber, schemes.  Other
papers, maybe?  References?
Exactly my point. He's compared "perfect" latency regulation to "selfish" latency regulation. He doesn't offer a comparison of selfish regulation to conventional (lack of) regulation. I've presented some numbers on the latter at a NANOG meeting before:
<http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0206/ppt/mike1/sld013.htm>
But much more of that, and I'll be judged to have transgressed the vendor taboo in these parts.

Other places to look include the Detour project from UWash and MIT's RON. These generally involve "bank shots" off intermediate nodes, not making better selections at a single node or edge site. I'm aware of one paper on the latter (not written by RouteScience), but it's under review, and hence not publishable, I'm afraid.

Mike