Re: Open relays and open proxies

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Fri Apr 25 08:21:49 2003

Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
The spamcop complaints that really set me off are the "spamvertised
website" complaints.  Just the mere fact that you host a site that was
advertised by spam enjoins you in the spamcop chain of causation, even
if the spam mail did not originate from your network.
With the exception of Joe-Jobs, spamvertised websites should be terminated. The theory is that the spammer should not be making money from the spam. Take away their money and perhaps they'll learn not to send spam. Of course, perhaps you enjoy the extra money you make because the customer sent spam to someone and the website generated traffic that directly or indirectly made you money.

Also, SpamCop works with people concerning the reports. If I'm not mistaken, they'll turn off specific types of reports if you ask. Personally, I like to be aware of what my customers are doing when it can cause me problems in the long run.

-Jack