Re: Low AS - Number

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 14:00:59 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:45:02AM -0700, David Barak wrote:
> Another example is AT&T (7018) who purchased CerfNET
> (1740), and also have 2386 (and others) for private
> use.

Ok, ok, ok, I was trying to say NEW companies often go out and get low
ASNs to further their image. Noone is going to go change ASNs on an
established network just to move from a very well known 7xxx to a 1xxx.

Also, any large network probably has a dozen or so ASNs sitting around
gathering dust from various acquisitions and/or dumb plans by someone in
management that never went anywhere. Using Verio as an example, we all
know they had other legitimate reasons for buying up the smaller providers
that they did, but they certainly didn't turn away the low ASNs in favor
of a new 10xxx either.

You don't need a vanity plate to drive your car, but people are still
willing to spend money for them.