Re: Zebra Router???

  • From: Joe
  • Date: Sun Apr 20 18:21:03 2003

FreeBSD is pretty stable. One such boxen I have has been up for 460 days
doing only routing and some Apache stuff on a GigE link. For the most part
I'd think its
safe to say the comination your working with is accepable for non-critical
use.
Of course if your looking for a failsafe production item your better off
spending the
extra cash on a Cisco/Extreme/Juniper/etc item, but in light of funds...
I'll also point out that CheckPoint used a FreeBSD kernel for some time. I
believe they are now using a Linux variant, but don't quote me on that.
The hardest part is finding drivers and support for the various NIC your
going to
use.

just my 2�

-Joe