RE: Dealing with ARIN.. my experiences & tips

  • From: Mark Borchers
  • Date: Tue Apr 15 10:08:32 2003

> > They can.  I'm sure their provider will be happy to oblige, for a small
> > fee.
>
> No, I mean that you should be able to trade in both PI and PA blocks for a
> single new PI block.  The policy, as written, only allows trade-ins of PI
> blocks.  See my replies to David Conrad in this thread.

Been there and done exactly that.  After submitting a request to
renumber a number of PA blocks and a small PI block into a /18 in
order to achieve some aggregation, it was processed by ARIN almost
instantly.  On that occasion at least, they exercised good stewardship
in not only address management, but helping the route table, an area which
they have explicitly stated is somewhat at odds with address
conservation.  I was impressed.

> My fear is that the folks actually processing trade-in requests
> will insist on efficiency documentation (a la RFC2050) before proceeding.
> While I'd love to take your word that won't happen, why not make
> it part of
> the policy and eliminate any possible confusion?

That's reasonable.