Re: Independent space from ARIN

  • From: Matthew S. Hallacy
  • Date: Mon Apr 14 22:05:23 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 02:21:01AM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> * Why do we have to pay very large sums of money ($2500+ per year at a
>   minimum) for this wonderful IP policing service. Where in the heck does
>   all that money go?

>From http://www.arin.net/library/corp_docs/budget.html :

Out of the $7,861,700.00 they raked in last year:

SALARIES		$2,326,653.85
FRINGE BENEFITS		$1,045,063.15
HIRING COSTS		$75,000.00
TRAVEL AND CONFERENCE	$631,732.40
COMMUNICATIONS		$236,699.62
COMPUTER		$118,941.75
DEPRECIATION		$445,750.00
RENT & OCCUPANCY	$461,287.00
GENERAL OFFICE		$192,400.00
LEGAL FEES		$100,000.00
Legal Defense Fund	$200,000.00
ICANN SUPPORT		$188,480.00
Other Internet Support - Merit & ISOC  $100,000.00
LACNIC SUPPORT		$66,000.00
CONSULTING		$184,000.00
Total			$6,372,007.76

In other words, they're milking the cash cow.

> * Why are we expected to continue the status quo of paying thousands of
>   dollars for addresses in IPv6? Without the threat of an artifical
>   shortage to "manage", what possible reason is there to justify ARIN's
>   existance or fees? Why do we all get the feeling IPv6 isn't an end to
>   the expenses, but rather a vast new market of registration and renewal
>   fees?

Because the owners of the cash cow don't want it to go away.