Re: Independent space from ARIN

  • From: Jeff McAdams
  • Date: Mon Apr 14 16:03:56 2003

Also Sprach [email protected]
>> Yes...following policy over common sense.  Exactly as I feared.

>Or some would say that the policy _is_ common sense.

Uhm...only someone on the moon, maybe.  Their (unpublished) policies are
seriously lacking in common sense...I think that's been shown in my
postings...and acknowledged by any of the number of people here that are
much more expert at dealing with ARIN than I am.

>Sometimes it makes things harder, you deal with it, or in your case,
>you whine about it on mailing lists.

Or, you try to reform the situation by shedding light on the
inadequacies of the institution.

>You claimyou were efficiently utilizing the space, but of course ARIN
>can't defend themselves, so we are left to believe you. Even if you
>_are_ telling the truth, the number of folks on this list who have
>stated that they've advocated lying, or have helped people lie seems to
>tell me that ARIN shouldn't believe you.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread advocate lying...though I don't
follow all nanog posts, so I don't know if it may have happened in other
threads...if so, I find that reprehensible.  More than that I can't say.

>> Again, we had greater than 80% utilization on *all* of our
>> blocks...not just the most recently allocated one, and closer to 90% on most
>> of them.  The documentation that we gave to ARIN in support of our
>> request showed this as well.

>So you say.

So...at this point, your defense of ARIN is to assume that *I'm* lying.
Great.

>>My "error" was that I expected ARIN would give me enough space to
>>renumber out of my current space as their documentation on their
>>website seems to indicate is necessary.  Silly me.

>So, you did absolutely nothing. This is a common problem with many on
>nanog. If I can't do something 100% my ay, I'ld rather do nothing.

I did nothing because I was told by ARIN that I wasn't expected to
re-number...that it wasn't a consideration in the allocation.  I offered
to renumber in the initial allocation because I was under the impression
that it was required, not because we wanted to do it at that time.  When
they said it wasn't expected, or a consideration, no, we didn't
renumber.  Then we find out, much later, that it *is* a consideration,
and that we're partially screwed because we didn't read their mind that
it was a consideration when they were verbally telling us that it
wasn't.

>>Yeah, it would be silly of ARIN to actually abide by the documentation
>>that they post on their website...so silly.

>I've read their documentation. It sounds like they abided with their
>policies to me.

Depends on when you ask, apparently.  (Actually, neither explanation I
got from ARIN, either after the initial allocation, nor the one I got in
the process of the most recent allocation, line up with what's on their
website).

>Oof, so even _you_ translate circuit size into eligibility for address
>space?

Actually...if you really want to get pedantic, we translate how much
money a customer pays us into partial eligibility for address space.  We
still require justification, but if a customer doesn't have a certain
size account, they won't get the address space even if they *are*
justified for it.

Again, we're going above and beyond what ARIN requires as far as address
space requirements...despite your attempt to spin this into being my
problem (why you're so emotionally invested in ARIN, I haven't a clue).

>How stupid indeed, since circuit size has no bearing on need for
>addresses (either in support or against).

There is a correlation there...not strict, I'll acknowledge, but
generally, larger circuits will end up using larger numbers of IP's.  To
deny that is as absurd as saying the correlation is strict, or to have a
policy of certain size circuits automatically get certain sized
allocations.

Again, we try to do the Right Thing.  I've turned down allocations from
upstreams that weren't needed in an effort to prevent address space
fragmentation and routing table polution, etc.

>If I were ARIN I'ld definately look at your documentation with a close
>eye.

Again, your defense of ARIN seems to be accusing me of under-handed
actions.

>Well, good for you. However, if you think you can do this once and be
>done, you are sorely misinformed.

We haven't had to go back and redesign and renumber our network, because
we learned from the first experience and have followed good allocation
practices since then.  I've gone back and audit'ed our network usage
(informally) and it still falls within good allocation guidelines.  So,
no, I *don't* have to go back and do this more than once...as long as
the allocations made, going forward, follow best practices, which we
have.

>In any event, it all comes down to: you had the opportunity to begin
>readdressing. You failed to do so on anything but your own terms. Now
>you (presumably) still have not readdressed and are still whining about
>it.

You just don't get it.  As I mentioned earlier, we offered to re-number
at the initial allocation because we thought it was necessary, but ARIN
themselves told us it wasn't, that *IT WASN'T A CONSIDERATION*...you
seem to keep skipping over this very important point...ARIN told us we
didn't need to renumber.  They lied to us, full stop.  Had they been
up-front and said that re-numbering would be a consideration at our next
allocation, we would have (grudgingly) worked towards
renumbering...again...since they didn't give us sufficient space to
renumber, we would not have been able to do so completely, but we would
have started the process.

Let's be clear on this.  Our decision not to start the renumbering
process was informed by ARIN telling us it wasn't a consideration.  I
know I'm repeating myself here, but this is a critically important point
that you have repeatedly ignored.

>This thread has sapped too much of my time, and the brain cells of the
>community. Hopefully you'll just go and renumber and quit your
>bitching.

No, as long as ARIN's policies and actions are ill-founded, they (and
likely other relevant...at least tangentially) fora such as nanog will
continue to hear about it...from me, and no doubt from others who have
to tolerate this charade of trying to protect the public interest.

ARIN has failed.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email protected]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848