Re: The Paradox of Commoditization

  • From: Curtis Maurand
  • Date: Thu Apr 10 15:04:35 2003

<rant>

There's no law stopping you or me from building out my own network
over the top of the ILEC.  Why don't we?  Because its too expensive
(at least thats what the complaint is.)  As a commodity, we won't get
the ROI to make it worth our while.   That's why we ended up with a
regulated monopoly in the first place.  Technically, the ILEC's don't
have a monopoly on the last mile.  At least in the state I live in
(Maine) If I declare myself as a facilities based CLEC, I
automatically have access to the poles (rental charges not
withstanding).  I can overbuild Verizon.  If I get a franchise
agreement with the town (franchise agreements are not exclusive), I
can deliver cable on that as well.  However, since Time-Warner is the
cable provider here, I doubt that they are going to make it easy or
inexpensive for me to carry their content (HBO/Cinemax, etc.) on my
network.   How many networks did we want on the poles outside?  Let's
see, verizon, time-warner, central maine power (who is also talking
about internet and phone access over the power system.), joe smith's
telecom, susie q's telecom ad infiitim.  How many of us can actually
make money from that limited market?

In the current model being a CLEC in a CO leaves you in the business
of selling off of someone else's plate.  I don't think thats a good
business model.  You're having to do business with a company that
would rather stomp  you out of existence.  Worse, everytime you sign
up a customer, you have to give all that information to your
competitor.  There's no substitute for owning the physical layer.  If
a company thinks they can build a better network thats less expensive
to operate and do a better job than the current ILEC, they should stop
griping and build it, market it and sell it.  Alcatel has some very
nice fiber equipment that will fit the bill.  Did I mention that its
just a tad more than $5,000.    I think $5,000 might buy one chassis.
Personally, If I could find a way to build a fast scalable network
without wires, I'd go find financing and do it in a second.  I can't,
why?  Too many trees and hills, buildings, etc..  So I'm back to
wires/fiber/coax or what have you.  Copper is out.  you can't drive
signal for any kind of distance, its too inefficient.  Of course it
is, the technology is over 100 years old and is about as refined as
its going to get.  That leaves fiber or coax, or a hybrid network.  I
won't even get into a regulatory $1,000,000 barrier to entry.

Keep an eye on TimeWarner up here in Portland, ME.  They're rolling
out telephone service on the cable plant.  The Road Runner service in
this area kicks butt in a big way (very snappy performance for $45.00
per month residential - 85.00 per month business).  No distance
limitations of xDSL.  Their phone service should do just as well.  It
cost them 2.5 million to rewire my town with a fibre ring (107 plant
miles 6,000 homes past).  Its fibre/coax hybrid plant running (I
believe) at 1 GHz.  What a business model; they get to sell me that
cable 3 times over (catv,phone,internet).  Did I mention that the
ICLEC's are not allowed to deliver cable over the phone system?  How
fair is that?  I say if the cable company can provide phone service,
then the phone company can provide cable service.  If we want
competition, then lets have competition.  However, a duopoly is not
competition.  Did I mention that the entire system is packet data and
I haven't had an outage (at least that I've noticed) in over a year
and that was during an ice storm   If you're in a rural area, your
phone and electric power went dead, too.  worse, in a rural area,
telecommunications companies are not interested in you either, No ROI.
lots of plant, no subscribers.  Its another reason we ended up with a
monopoly.  There's no requirements for competition in rural areas
either.  this is maine, I don't have as much choice when it comes to
telecom up here as there is in other parts of the country either.
Cell phone coverage is downright crappy.  large area no subcribers.

The Cellular companies want to deliver internet too, but at $0.40 per
min or $0.03 per kilobit, I'm not interested.  Their system won't do
broadband either.

In the meantime, I was just laid off from my job at a CLEC yesterday
because they're not quite making a profit either: almost, but with 15
fewer people they might, but customer service is going to take a hit..
Worse the folks with the really big salaries that weren't getting it
done are still there.

</rant>