Re: Reporting Internet incidents to Homeland Security

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Apr 07 23:44:33 2003

> > This is assuming the US Government security authority over the
> > Internet. Why should the US Government get the appearance of special
> > privileges where other governments of the world do not? ...
>
> http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0403/040103td1.htm
>   "The Homeland Security Department may take more of a direct role
>   coordinating the security of the Internet's infrastructure, ...
>
>   "The Bush administration's acting cybersecurity adviser Howard Schmidt
>   said in an interview that homeland security and government agencies
>   officials are working to formalize a security apparatus for the global
>   Internet root servers, a series of computer systems that underpin the
>   Internet's address system."
>
> Since US state and federal government affliated agencies already operate
> 5 out of 13 of the root servers, and 2(3) root server operators are
> essentially under the contractual supervision of the US government, I'm
> not sure how much more direct you can get.

speaking for f-root, ISC reports attacks and outages to US-NCS and have since
long before the current executive order, and without reference to any order.

it's not an exclusive.  any nation that the US state department tells ISC is
not an "enemy" is welcome to hear our attack and outage reports.  generally
this means G8 but...

> 3 root server operators are outside the US.

...we've now got f-root mirrored in spain and china, with more on the way.
--
Paul Vixie

(PS. plans for dns-isac.org are proceeding nicely.)