Re: Looking for advice on datacenter electrical/generator

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Sat Apr 05 21:08:09 2003

Bill Woodcock wrote:

> Backhoes always so far.
    > - The gas gets cut off immediately in any fire situation, usually
    > affecting a few city blocks at a time

When was the last time you saw a fire that affected a few city blocks?
I'm sure gas would be cut off in the event of a fire of that magnitude,
but are you arguing that diesel delivery would continue?  Trucks rolling
through the maelstrom?  I'm not sure what your point is here.
If they backhoe a NG pipeline in front of your colo, it will ultimately hose both your gas *and* your mains power:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=314AF8E7.3D59%40InterNex.Net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain>

Determining whether the fire marshall would allow you to operate a locally fueled Diesel genset is left as an exercise for the reader.

Does anyone have any info regarding if NG pipeline delivery was affected (did gas pipeline pumps or valves stop working when the power went out?) when the Pacific Intertie went down in June 1996?

jc