Re: An A record is an MX record and is a missing MX....

  • From: Will Yardley
  • Date: Thu Apr 03 17:15:27 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:58:53PM -0600, Gerardo Gregory wrote:

> A recent issue I encountered has prompted me to ask the following
> question.  What I am looking for is clarification regarding the
> "proper" way of implementing Mail Exchange records, etc.

> I have always been under the impression (or taught at least)
> that an MX record was necessary (required) for mail exchange.  I
> at least believed that this was the correct way.  Recently, we
> implemented a new mail server at our facility and started having
> some issues relaying mail to a few domains.  Although this has
> already been resolved, I was under the impression that these two
> domains where the actual problem since I could not resolve an MX
> record for either one.
>
> Since then I have learned that some MTA's will look for an A record
> if it cannot find an MX record and use the A record instead.

An MX record is good practice, but is not required or necessary. If an
MX record exists, the MX record must be used; otherwise mail will be
delivered to the host to which the A record points.

--
The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a Sin. The Pope! But
even worse, the Dixie Chicks have now come out against you! How bad does