Re: Looking for advice on datacenter electrical/generator

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Thu Apr 03 12:44:39 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Chris Adams wrote:

> We have about 10-15 minutes of UPS capacity.
>
> The important thing with a generator is to make sure you test it
> regularly.  Ours (a diesel at one POP and a natural gas at another)
> automatically run each week and alert us to any problems.  Then, to test
> the full system (transfer switch, etc.), we "pull the handle" (shut off
> utility power) once a month and make sure that everything works as it is
> supposed to.

I agree about running the generator at least once a week...you need to
ensure that the startup battery stays well charged.

However, I disagree about doing a full-scale test once a month. Do that 2
or 3 times a year at most. Why? Your batteries are rated for X number of
discharges. No need to hasten their failure. As long as the generator
works, you shouldn't be worried. What are the chances your transfer switch
is going to fail?

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, Inc.                           www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access