RE: Reporting Internet incidents to Homeland Security

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Apr 03 12:21:42 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
> This is assuming the US Government security authority over the Internet. Why
> should the US Government get the appearance of special privileges where
> other governments of the world do not? The vast majority of serious security
> incidents I see all cross national jurisdictions. So you can label them
> "international Internet security incidents."

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0403/040103td1.htm
  "The Homeland Security Department may take more of a direct role
  coordinating the security of the Internet's infrastructure, a top
  administration official said Tuesday."

  "The Bush administration's acting cybersecurity adviser Howard Schmidt
  said in an interview that homeland security and government agencies
  officials are working to formalize a security apparatus for the global
  Internet root servers, a series of computer systems that underpin the
  Internet's address system."

Since US state and federal government affliated agencies already operate
5 out of 13 of the root servers, and 2(3) root server operators are
essentially under the contractual supervision of the US government, I'm
not sure how much more direct you can get.

3 root server operators are outside the US.