Re: [Re: Semi-OT: solicitations to nanog]

  • From: Joshua Smith
  • Date: Wed Apr 02 10:40:09 2003

i seem to remember other similar 'solicitations' by nanog members
seeking to join up with fellow networkers in their local community,
at the next arin/nanog/sushi/etc meeting...i don't think that this
is really that much different.  granted, i don't know how 'tasteful'
it was, but i am sure that jeff has been sufficiently spammed^W
informed about the situation.  (maybe he was trying to pull some of
the noise from the list to a social organization, thereby increasing
the signal level for us to discuss more valid things like the
comparing pe^H^Hego^H^H^Hrouter size)

now is shall step back to let the next nanoger forth to desperately
flail the pulpy carcass or this thing that used to be a fine equine

Jack Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
> > So as not to cluter up the list, I've posted the response/thread
> > of email I received regarding this, complete with the "explaination"
> > so to speak. I don't buy it, but perhaps I'm missing something.
> > http://www.rocknyou.com/nanogspam.html
> > I was surprised to get a response none the less.
> >

> In this particular case, reguardless of the Friendster TOS (which I
> don't believe supported the action), it is (if I'm not mistaken) the
> list maintainer's call concerning whether it was appropriate or not and
> what action (if any) is needed.
>
> My personal opinion is that the list is designed to "bring people
> together" and its membership is, I'm sure, aware that there are other
> ways of communications which are often handled on a case by case basis
> off-list (or perhaps the off-topic list depending on it's charter?).
>

> -Jack

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -