RE: State Super-DMCA Too True

  • From: todd glassey
  • Date: Tue Apr 01 12:01:27 2003

Thanks Stephen -

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]On
Behalf Of
Stephen Sprunk
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 7:57 PM
To: todd glassey; Dan Hollis; Jack Bates
Cc: Kuhtz, Christian; Michael Loftis; Robert A. Hayden;
North American
Noise and Off-topic Gripes
Subject: Re: State Super-DMCA Too True

Thus spake "todd glassey" <[email protected]>
> By the way - the big one these days is the claim from the
> Tier-2/3 player that they are really subject to the same
> rules that the Tier-1 players are and that simply isn't
> true - nor should it be.

There is no technical or legal difference between tier-1 and
tier-2/3
service providers.  Heck, NANOG has been collectively
working on it for
years and we haven't even come up with definitions for the
various "tiers"
yet.

The distiction is between those who provide network
transport and those who
provide application services across that network.  The
former can seek
refuge as common carriers, but the latter clearly cannot.

I pity the ABA if you really are their liaison to our
industry.  Worse, I
pity our industry for what kinds of ridiculous laws we'll
soon be subjected
to.

Stephen Sprunk         "God does not play dice."  --Albert
Einstein
CCIE #3723         "God is an inveterate gambler, and He
throws the
K5SSS        dice at every possible opportunity." --Stephen
Hawking