Re: State Super-DMCA Too True

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Mon Mar 31 23:06:18 2003

Thus spake "todd glassey" <[email protected]>
> By the way - the big one these days is the claim from the
> Tier-2/3 player that they are really subject to the same
> rules that the Tier-1 players are and that simply isn't
> true - nor should it be.

There is no technical or legal difference between tier-1 and tier-2/3
service providers.  Heck, NANOG has been collectively working on it for
years and we haven't even come up with definitions for the various "tiers"
yet.

The distiction is between those who provide network transport and those who
provide application services across that network.  The former can seek
refuge as common carriers, but the latter clearly cannot.

I pity the ABA if you really are their liaison to our industry.  Worse, I
pity our industry for what kinds of ridiculous laws we'll soon be subjected
to.