Re: State Super-DMCA Too True

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Mon Mar 31 15:58:22 2003

Thus spake "Jack Bates" <[email protected]>
> Actually, I think it was all the people going bust that were begging for
> the "killer app". Us country folk were happy with the way things were.
> As for using QoS for p2p traffic, would you like to explain to me how
> my Cisco routers can tell the difference between the various flavors of
> p2p and say ftp?

Well, most p2p apps live on well-known ports, and Cisco's QOS mechanism
allows easy classification on ports.  Yes, most of the p2p apps are
port-agile -- but only if they are completely blocked.  My experience is
that if you let the p2p stuff through, it'll stick to its default port and
you can police with impunity.

If that's not good enough, Cisco's software routers (i.e. not GSR, Cats) can
find Napster and Gnutella on any port based on packet contents.