Re: DNS dDos Attack!

  • From: Kevin Houle
  • Date: Fri Mar 28 09:58:29 2003

--On Friday, March 28, 2003 09:28:48 AM -0500 Dan Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote:

Sorry, I lied.  We are running 8.34Release

What I cannot figure out is why *our* name server is sending out ICMP
unreachables.  The incoming dns queries are coming from random
destinations....
Are you sure the inbound attack packets are really valid queries, or are
they responses? I ask because in the classic DDoS-via-nameservers attack,
the victim will receive answers from a slew of other nameservers and send
out ICMP unreachables. See

 http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2000-04.html

Kevin