Re: Iraq Telecom Facility

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Mar 28 01:26:38 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Jeffrey Meltzer wrote:
> MSNBC just reported that 2 Iraq 'Telecom Facilities' were bombed.  Anyone
> know if this is having further reaching effects on the PSTN/Internet in that
> region?

I believe the Iraqi international telelcommunications central office is
across the river from the ministry of information in downtown Baghdad.  It
appears to be a new building, with a typical telco look (lots of concrete
and few windows).  The original PTT building in Baghdad was destroyed
during the first Gulf War.

Al Jazeera is reporting Baghdad's main telephone exchange was hit, but I
don't know if that is the same building as the international exchange.

I can still reach some Internet sites in Iraq, but I don't know their
physical routing.  The round-trip time has remained about the same, so
I think they are still in the same place, same route.