Re: Syn Flood

  • From: Johannes Ullrich
  • Date: Tue Mar 25 23:08:45 2003

I would look for something like an IRC bot. Zonealarm may not
catch it if it is on there for a while and some user 'permitted'
it at some point. Usually, these bots have names to sound like
system binaries. Anti virus software may not catch the agent.

Do you have any full packet captures from the system? Any traffic
that could be control traffic (doesn't have to go to port 6667)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:55:41 -0600
"Christopher Bird" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a problem on a home PC of all things. Every once in a while it
> bursts into life and syn floods an IP address on port 80. The IP
> addresses it chooses are random and varied. The network counters ratchet
> up alarmingly (as viewed in the connections window). I am running winXP
> Pro on this box.
>

> I have zone alarm, an SMC Barricade firewall, and Norton anti virus.
>

> I don't seem to be able to catch the computer at it, I just have the
> evidence after the event. I don't like the anti social behavior that
> this is exhibiting and am wondering if the collective wisdom of this
> group might have any ideas how to track the issue down.
>

> According to virus checkers, I am clean.
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Chris Bird

[email protected]             Collaborative Intrusion Detection
                                         join http://www.dshield.org