Re: Al Jazeera DOSed or just lots of traffic

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Mar 25 01:19:47 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, james wrote:
> : It was DDoSed even the nameservers routes were null due to the DDoS huge
> : size.
>
> I noticed today that a traceroute to this host from my network exited
> at 4 or 5 hops on west coast at a major providers network.

Its common for popular web sites to locate their major servers
topologically in the network away from their organization's geographic
location.  For example, the BBC (a UK organization) has web servers
in New York City.  So it doesn't surprise me to see Al Jezeera's web
servers connected through New Jersey.

Al Jazeera's main web site (64.106.198.10) is still very slow, but I can
get to their english language web site on the same subnet (64.106.198.16).
So its acting more like a overloaded web server than a DDOS.  But I don't
have any special insight into Al Jazeera's network.