Re: OT: Notebooks /w a serial port?

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Fri Mar 21 17:07:45 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Drew Weaver wrote:

> 	Seems like these are all but extinct, but does anyone know of a
> 'new' notebook that has a serial port built onto it? I've found some that
> have port replicators, but that can be a pain when you need to serial into a
> router or some other device. What do you guys use?

I have a powerbook, and I use the USB serial adapter from Keyspan.

Should work great for a PC; it's the only one that will work for OS X that
I know of. While there isn't much in the way of decent terminal emulators
in OS X, there are two other ways to use the keyspan.

For the bsd geeks (like most on this list, I would assume), it creates a
POSIX device in /dev, so you can use your favorite command line and
X-windows apps (for those who haven't switched, apple's support for
X-windows is damn nice).

And for those with Virtual PC, the keyspan adapter can be "shared" with
the emaulated PC, and you can use SecureCRT, "the best terminal emulator
ever".

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, Inc.                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access